Did you know that businesses that publish 16 or more articles per month get 3.5 times more traffic to their site? And according to Quicksprout, 61% of consumers will make a purchase based on a blog post.
As you can see, business blogging is an important part of your business digital marketing strategy. It helps by:
- Boost the visibility of your business online through search engine optimization (SEO)
- Position yourself, as well as your company, as an essential expert in your field
- Give you access to a global audience
- Establish credibility with your potential consumers
- Boost your brand awareness and recognition
Read on for a helpful guide to blogging, from creating topics and writing your articles, to incorporating SEO best practices and promoting your articles.
How to Develop Powerful Business Blogging Topics
How can you keep coming up with topic ideas when blogging in business? Here are a few tips.
If business blogging is part of your digital marketing strategy, you might find it difficult to constantly develop new topics. A strong subject must be created with the reader in mind; it should be useful, timely, informative and straightforward.
The first step in coming up with new blog topics is to brainstorm. Set aside time each quarter and don’t be afraid to ask a friend or colleague for help if you need new ideas. Also, be sure to keep a notebook handy or a file on your phone for ideas; you never know when the inspiration will arrive!
Create an editorial calendar to clearly showcase your business blogging ideas and develop regular features, such as a monthly product review or bi-weekly recaps of industry news. By planning one quarter, semester, or full year at a time, you can see the overall structure of your content topics. Such a perspective will also allow you to include upcoming events that are important to your business, industry, and community.
Still stuck on ideas for business blogging topics? Here are a few more ways to find inspiration:
- Conduct and review keyword research.
- Look at your website analytics to see which articles have been popular; come up with a new angle for the same topic or combine a few older posts to create a new one (note: be sure to remove and redirect old posts so it doesn’t hurt your SEO).
- Set a Google Alert with industry keywords, then look for inspiration in the headlines; you can also use it to collect multiple articles into a roundup article.
- Think about the problems your readers are facing and write an article with suggestions for solving them.
It also helps change the format of your blog posts. For example, in an article, you can create a list article, in which you present a bulleted list of ideas or useful tips for your readers. Then, in the next article, write a how-to or do-it-yourself article that features your ideas, tips, and tricks. Interviewing industry executives or employees, or writing an article with curated content is another idea – just be sure to mention the original sources.
The anatomy of a strong post on a corporate blog
Make sure your articles include these elements when starting a professional blog.
Now that you’ve come up with the next topics for business blogging, it’s time to think about how to make your posts more powerful for your readers as well as the search engines.
- Spend time on the Title. One strategy is to write the title last so that it forms naturally based on your content. It is necessary :
- Grab the attention of your readers
- Be clear about what the message is about
- Tell your visitors why they should care
- Keep it short and concise (6-13 words is ideal)
- Include a keyword for SEO
- Include strong numbers, questions and / or action words
- When it comes to content, don’t write just for the sake of writing. Make sure each post delivers value to your readers and reflects your brand’s voice or personality. In addition to writing well with a clear message, it helps to include current statistics, trends and industry news. You can also make it timely by linking the post to current events or the current time of year. Make sure every blog post includes a call to action as well! Ask your readers to comment, share the post, contact you, sign up for your newsletter, and more.
- Consider the formatting of your blog post. Strong content is not enough for the short attention span of readers. Make sure your post is easy to digest by using formatting to your advantage. Include captions, use numbered and bulleted lists, split large paragraphs with quotes or images, and add graphics and tables to support your content.
- Include at least one visual in your blog post, if not more. Research shows that “Posts that include images produce 650% higher engagement than posts that contain text only. »Select high-resolution images that are clear and crisp, attractive and related to the content of the publication. Make sure that you also have the right to use any images you use.
SEO Best Practices for Business Blogs
Follow these SEO best practices when starting a professional blog.
On a business blog, it’s not enough to write articles that your readers will want to read and format them in an easy-to-digest way; you also need to think about SEO (search engine optimization). Here are some best practices for integrating your business blogging efforts.
- Take the frequency into account. For strong SEO, it’s important to be consistent, until your posts go live on the same day of the week and time of day. Active blogs engage readers better, which also translates into higher search engine rankings. With that in mind, make business blogging a priority at least once a week.
- Incorporate keywords. Don’t know what keywords to use? Wordstream is a useful tool for doing quick searches. Once you have your keywords sprinkle them throughout the post where it feels natural (at least every 100 words or so). To get the most out of your keywords, be sure to include keywords in these areas of your post:
- The title
- Subtitles / Section Headings
- Photo captions
- Image file names
- The URL of the post
- The meta description
- The first sentence
- The last paragraph
- Think about the length. Keep in mind the following length guidelines for the different parts of your blog post.
- Title: 50-60 characters, or approximately 6-13 words.
- Message Body: The most recent research shows that longer messages perform better (over 2000 words), but quality takes precedence over quantity.
- Meta description (the quick summary that appears below the title): 154 characters, or approximately 1 to 2 sentences.
- Formatting for SEO. There are ways to format your blog posts for better SEO:
- Use header tags. The post title should be H1, but after that use the H2-H6 header tags as often as you want. This is a great way to divide the content by making it easy for the reader to use, in addition to the SEO benefit.
- Include internal links. These can help readers find other great articles on your website, and they’re good for SEO as well.
- Use quality outbound links. By creating links to other properly optimized websites that have information relevant to your blog post, Google will recognize your website as a website with strong links.
- Look at the analysis. You won’t know how successful your business blogging efforts are unless you track the data. Install Google Analytics to get useful information about who visits different pages on your website and for how long, then watch what the data tells you.
Last step of the corporate blog: promote articles for additional visibility
What do you do after writing and posting a blog post? You must encourage readers to read it!
How to promote your posts on a business blog
How do you promote your articles when blogging in business?
- Share it on all your social media platforms. Personalize each update for subscribers on that specific site. For example, when you share it on Facebook, make the update more informal than when you share it on LinkedIn. Also, depending on the networks you use, add a few relevant hashtags to make it more visible.
- Pay to promote your post on social media platforms. According to Hootsuite, paid social ads are the 4e better way for people to find new products. It can also mean more traffic to your blog. Advertising on social media is a fantastic way to make sure your business blogging efforts are seen.
- Devote part of your newsletter to your blog posts. Present them in a new and interesting way to grab the attention of your readers; don’t forget to include a picture too!
- Share your post in an appropriate LinkedIn discussion group. Just make sure the group you’re sharing the post in is open to self-promotion posts! Some don’t want you to link to your own website.
- Do a simple Twitter search for the topic of your blog post and see if others are struggling with it. If you can respond, share your post and help them; they can also share your post and username with their followers and the circle goes in circles.
- If you think your blog post is perfect for some clients, send it straight to them. Add a personal message and make them feel important.
- Syndicate your content using the RSS button on your website. This feature is a great way to automatically alert your readers to your new post; it even sends it directly to their social media pages!